Business processes and systems are different in every business but when your business grows, so should your systems and processes. What may have worked really well for 5 staff members, may not work as well for 10 or 20 staff members. Not to mention, manual processes which can end up taking up more of your time when, ideally, you are busier with more work coming in. Taking a step back and evaluating your processes and systems each year can save you time, money and a whole lot of headaches later down the track. Now, as the year is coming to a close, it is a good time to reassess what you have in place and to consider whether or not it is still the most suitable fit for you:
To help you here are a few, simple tips to review your business processes and systems:
- Write a list of all the processes that you think can be improved. You should think about time efficiency, risk, continuity and the quality of the final product.
- If you are looking at ways to improve certain systems or processes, ask staff members who are involved in that part of the business to lead the project.
- Once you have identified the processes that can be streamlined, write them out into a formal process and distribute to the wider team for feedback and review. Staff input can provide an aspect you may not have thought about, after all they are the ones that are usually using or following your systems and processes.
- Research for other ways and means! Talk to other business owners/managers and hear what they do. Consider implementing software to streamline your processes in payroll, HR, Practice Management and reporting. Most businesses now are using software to help save them time and money, plus increase productivity. However, there are many products available so take your time to shop around to find the best fit for your business. Once again, talking to other business owners who have similar operations can be really useful.
- Remember to always work with your staff when introducing new procedures and systems, their involvement also means their buy in and in turn, your return on investment.
HR Central offer a great solution to assist with streamlining your Policy compliance, document management, leave tracking and qualification reminders. Our team are happy to come to your business for a free demonstration on how it can help manage some of the many day to day tasks involved in a business.
Contact our office on 1300 717 721